A friend of mine gave me sweet banana peppers from her garden. So I’ve been incorporating them into everything I can think of. I also found a great idea for an easy salad dressing from the Pioneer Woman. It’s fairly simple mix ranch and salsa.
To make this salad follow these steps:
1) Wash and pat dry an organic lettuce mix. Doesn’t matter what type it is.
2) Add five washed and sliced baby Bella mushrooms to the lettuce. Add half a diced red bell pepper. Add some finely chopped green/spring onions. Take four to five sweet banana peppers and core. Chop and add to salad. Set aside.
3) In a separate bowl mix equal parts ranch and salsa. The amount depends on you. I made about half a cup. Add the dressing to the salad and toss together. Shred Parmesan cheese, about 2 oz. to the salad and toss. To see the origonal recipe for this dressing go to The Pioneer Woman’s website, http://thepioneerwoman.com/cooking/2013/07/chicken-taco-salad/.
4) Wash and tear rainbow Swiss chard from the ribs. The ribs are simply the part of the stem running down the leaf’s center. I used rainbow Swiss chard because I had some in my garden. Any type of Swiss chard would work. I used one bunch (ten leaves). Heat a small sauce pan to medium heat. Coat the bottom with a little bit of olive oil. Add the Swiss chard and some chopped walnuts to the pan. Allow to saute for a minute. Add fresh lemon juice, about 2 TBSP. A little bit of lemon juice goes a long way. Saute for about five more minutes. The aim is to soften the Swiss chard and give it a wilted look. Take the chard off the heat. Allow to cool down for a minute. Add to the salad and toss.
5) You’re done! Eat and rejoice!