Prep time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 15-20 minutes
Yield: Serves 4
1) Heat oven to 425 degrees. Chop 1 large sweet onion. Set aside in a bowl. Finely mince two garlic cloves.
2) Heat a large saucepan over medium high heat. Add one tablespoon of oil. When the oil has been heated through, add the onion and garlic. Cook, stirring occasionally, about 10-15 minutes. Add one teaspoon of maple syrup while cooking the onion. A good test is to take your spatula and cut an onion in half. If it cuts easily, it’s ready. You’ll want the onion tender but not brown.
3) Remove the onion and mix in two teaspoons of honey. Set aside.
4) Take some gluten free crackers, either ones you’ve made from a mix or bought, and crush. You’ll want about a cup. Mix with 1 cup of Parmesan cheese.
5) Take a medium baking dish out. Cover the bottom with ½ of the onion mixture. Slice two small tomatoes into half slices. Arrange the tomatoes on top of the onions in a layer. Top with the other half of the onions. Top with the crackers/cheese. Finally, top with six small pats of butter.
6) Cook for about 15-20 minutes or until the cheese is bubbly. Enjoy!